The basket complies with the UNI EN 14502-1 standard ratified by the president of the UNI and has become part of the Italian regulatory body on 11/17/2005. The standard regulates the design and manufacture of equipment for lifting people, in particular the first part, which analyzes the suspended baskets for lifting equipment.
The abbreviation EN identifies the standards developed by CEN. The EN standards must be compulsorily implemented by the CEN member countries and their reference code becomes, in the case of Italy, EN. These standards are used to standardize technical legislation throughout Europe, so the existence at national level of rules that are not in harmony with their content is not allowed.
The main characteristics imposed by the regulations that distinguish the basket are:
– attachments of personal restraints
– living space above 1 sqm
– non-slip embossed metal sheet
– side panels at a height of 1m with a handrail inside the basket to prevent the operator from crushing the fingers in the event of a collision
– design to withstand overloads that exceed six times the range
– compliance with the UNI 13586 standard ratified by President Uni with resolution dated 05/04/2005 which regulates access to the location by ladder.
Art. 4 dlgs 359/99
The maneuver for lifting or lowering people by crane must be taken into account only in exceptional circumstances, for example, when access to the desired point is not possible with less dangerous means, ie an emergency.
The crane must be equipped with:
– performance limiter (load and moment)
– automatic brake, such that when the controls are released, the
operation stops (controlled when present)
– descent only when the engine is engaged
– end of crane movements.
Special procedures for lifting and transporting people
The following special procedures should be followed when people are raised.
– the person specifically responsible for supervising the work to be performed determines the least dangerous way to pursue the work;
– the responsible person has the task of describing the operation and its implementation times;
– the report, once approved by the person in charge, will be kept in the records of the security plan;
– lifting and maintenance at height must be done safely under the direction of a specially designated person;
– a meeting in the presence of the crane operator, the person in charge and the personnel to be lifted and kept at height and the supervisors responsible for the sector, must be kept to analyze the procedures that must be followed;
– The crane operator and the person in charge must carry out a lifting test with a mass equivalent to that which must be lifted, applied to the platform or to the cage to verify its operation;
– communication between the crane operator, the person in charge and the workers who are relieved must always be maintained;
– when a weld must be carried out by the staff of the platform or basket, the supported electrode must be protected from contact with the metal components of the platform or cage;
– the lifted or stationary personnel must use seat belts connected to pre-established hooking points;
– The movement of the work platform that carries the personnel must be done in a cautious and controlled manner without sudden movements of the crane or work platform; (the ascent and descent speed must not exceed 0,5 m / s)
– use as a crane should not be possible while the staff is on the platform or cage;
– personnel who are lifted and / or already in position must remain in visual contact and / or in communication with the operator or the signalman;
– the total mass of the suspended load (including personnel) must be less than 50% of the nominal capacity of the crane under normal conditions of use. Therefore the capacity must not be less than 1000 kg .;
– the crane must have a nominal capacity of 1000 kg. Staff support platforms should only be used for staff, their equipment and, for material sufficient to carry out their work. Personnel must maintain all parts of the body inside the suspended platform during lifting, lowering and positioning;
– the staff can not stand or work on the handrail or on the foot of the suspended platform;
– the work platform should not be used in the presence of wind and in any case for winds above 7m / s or in the presence of disturbed weather, snow, ice, sleet or other weather conditions
adverse effects which may affect the safety of personnel.
– the personnel on board must be equipped with evacuation systems in emergency conditions.
– after docking the platform and before the personnel can
perform any work, all safety devices must be tested.
It is absolutely forbidden to lift any type of lifting basket without using all the lifting hooks applied to it; the flexible lifting accessories can be steel ropes conforming to EN 13414-1 or chains conforming to EN 818-4 with a safety factor of at least:
8x (basket weight + capacity) for chains
10x (basket weight + capacity) for steel ropes including hooking end parts.
These lifting accessories must have a length equal to or greater than 2 meters. The crane must have a nominal capacity of at least Kg 1000.
For more information, visit the website www.ispesl.it